Camerata Cornello is certainly a town full of history: it is believed that the first groups of inhabitants were already established in the Middle Ages when, following the barbarian invasions, the populations of the city took refuge in the valley.
For a long time it was subjected to the feudal regime of the bishops of Bergamo and affected by Guelph-Ghibelline feuds, it was under Visconti rule and from 1428 was integrated into the territory of the Serenissima Republic of Venice which had occupied all the lands of Bergamo.
In the centre of Camerata Cornello lies the parish church of Assunta. The church was consecrated in 1737 on the ruins of an ancient 15th century church. At the beginning of the 20th century, the building was extended by a span and the façade was rebuilt. The interior features typical baroque decoration, with frescoes of the eighteenth century by an unknown artist with subjects related to the exaltation of the Virgin.
There are two prestigious canvases by Carlo Ceresa: Saint Anthony of Padua, protector of the Bergamasque territory and here represented with the tunic and cap of the Capuchin monks, and a Guardian Angel accompanying a child. The painting at the altar of Our Lady of the Rosary is a Madonna with Saint Dominic and Saint Catherine (1610), by Francesco Zucco, one of the most famous Bergamo painters of the 17th century.
Throughout history, several districts into which the area was divided witnessed the creation of numerous churches and buildings that have maintained their original charm over the years, preserving their valuable heritage to the present day.
The buildings of Camerata and its districts are an exemplary testimony of the rural architecture of the valley. The buildings are perfectly adapted to the territory's morphology, making use of the characteristics of the land, thus the material used is local stone cut into large blocks and joined together with mortar. Arches and decorative elements are in stone, the oldest in dark marble, the most recent in tuff and pudding stone.